It is very important to have a WordPress blog that can be enjoyed to the readers. One of many ways to improve your blog's usability is to increase your WordPress blog's speed.
Even the largest Search Engine announced that speed of your website is important for your website's authority and page rank.
You can try these tips to improve the loading speed of your WordPress blog:
1. Choose the reliable and fast webhosting before you install your WordPress blog.
You can do forum researchers to know whether a web host is good for your blog's speed or not. Avoid some review websites as reviews can be faked.
You can do it by deleting some space in your html files or css files. For the CSS, you can use css sprites for your blog's images.
You can also use some CSS compressors that are available to use for free on the Internet.
3. Optimize your WordPress database to reduce the loading time of your blog.
It is important to optimize your database by fixing your database's tables or post revisions tables.
4. Install page speed free tools to check your site's speed regularly.
I advice from my own experience, that you install YSlow from Yahoo developer and Page speed from Google.
5. Avoid to scale your images.
WordPress easy feature is you can choose to have thumbnails, medium or even smaller size of your original images.
Avoid doing it, because in fact when your readers load this image, their browser load the original size and scale the html version to scale the size.
6. Compress your images before posting them in your article.
You can use free online tool, for example, Ysmush it from yahoo, which i personally use and recommend too.
7. Choose a WordPress theme that is validated by html validator.
Basically the cleaner your theme files codes can reduce the loading speed, as the browser render your site easily.
8. Avoid using theme which has lots of images.
You can have a great WordPress template without using images, but using css sprites instead. This forces the user's browser to load faster, without searching or scaling your images.
9. Install WordPress cache plugin.
WordPress provides great plugins, including cache plugin to enhance your WordPress blog's speed. Choose what the best for you.
10. Deactivate and delete plugins that you do not use.
Initially, readers' browser load many elements of your blog, one of them, they do load your plugin's files too.
11. Use CDN or Content Delivery Network.
This option, i put in the last of my list, because it needs a good budget. There are some CDN service that will help you to speed up your blog.
I have successfully increase my blog's speed, and you can too!